April 9th is Equal Pay Day - Show Us the Money!
Society members are encouraged to wear red on April 9th in recognition and support of Equal Pay Day. Equal Pay Day marks the date in April until which, on average, a women must work into the new year in order to earn what a man earned in the previous 12 months - more than three additional months.
The theme for the 2019 event is Show Us the Money.
The Society supports the Equal Pay Coalition's call for immediate Government Action in five main areas:
- Implement the Pay Transparency Act, 2018 no later than May 1st, 2019 to enforce equal pay.
- Keep the $2 per hour Provincial Wage Enhancement Grant for Registered Early Childhood Educators and child care workers in licensed child care.
- Properly fund community agencies so workers delivering Public Services receive pay equity now.
- Increase funding to the Pay Equity Commission to enable robust proactive enforcement of pay equity.
- Raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour immediately.
If you are in the area of 400 University Avenue in Toronto between 10:30 and 12:30 on Tuesday April 9, come and join the event happening outside. All are welcome and encouraged to attend.
For more information about Equal Pay, please visit the Equal Pay Coalition website at www.equalpaycoalition.org
When you are wearing Red on April 9th, remember to send pictures using @thesocietysays with a message showing your support to Show Us the Money!