The Society has launched the beta version of the union’s new mobile app for Delegates.
The new web-based app helps Delegates interact with their members as the Society rolls out the Go, Listen, Build engagement program to help the Society become a truly member-driven union.
A contest to name the new app was held over the November 4-5 Society Council meeting. Among dozens of names submitted, the winning entry was SUP Now, which came from Hydro One Local Unit Director Tracy Miller. Miller was rewarded with a $100 Canadian Tire gift card.
SUP Now was selected because while short and sweet it emphasizes immediacy to the work of building the union. It also plays off the contraction of “What’s up?” to encourage Delegates to have regular, open-ended conversations with members.
Here are some of the key features in SUP Now:
- Delegates will see an up-to-date list of members in their group with work contact details to help them keep in touch
- With security features to protect members' personal contact information, Delegates will be able to update personal email and phone numbers
- To help bring members' ideas and comments to the union's senior leadership, Delegates will be able to save and share notes about their conversations with members and flag issues that need local or central follow-up
- Delegates will get Action Alerts for things like new campaigns, membership meetings and union events that they should share with their members. Delegates will also be able to keep track of which members are participating
- Delegates will get special news updates through the app that they can share with their members
- Delegates can track their progress as they seek to get members' contact information fully up to date and encourage members to participate in union campaigns and activities
- The app will work on current and many older model smartphones, including iOS, Android and BlackBerry, as well as on desktop web browsers, though user experience is optimized for mobile phones
The app will be rolled out gradually, beginning with the Bruce Power Local's collective agreement renewal campaign this fall. Delegates will receive training on using the new app as it becomes available for their group.
To bring this app to Delegates as efficiently as possible, the release is a Beta version. When Delegates have had a chance to use the app and provide feedback a new round of development may be undertaken to improve the user experience and add new features.