The Society of United Professionals is seeking an experienced labour relations professional to work as Labour Relations Staff Officer (LRSO) on a 12-month contract beginning as soon as possible.
Reporting to the Staff Director, this job is responsible for advising and guiding Local representatives and members on all labour relations matters, developing and carrying out work programs/initiatives to advance the interests of the Society and its members, and for building a stronger union through improved membership engagement. This position requires the ability to independently prepare and argue cases at labour arbitration.
- Providing effective support to Local representatives and members and relations between the Society and Local representatives and members;
- In co-operation with Local elected officers, developing and maintaining relationships with employers;
- Organizing support for Society campaigns, both internal and external, and for providing assistance and support to the Society and International Union organizing staff;
- Bachelor’s of Laws, Juris Doctor, or Masters degree in Labour Relations, or equivalent level of education and experience.
- Five years related experience, including a range of experience in collective bargaining, grievance handling, preparing and arguing labour arbitrations, organizing, union administration and other labour relations matters.
- A demonstrated ability to interpret technical legal documents, such as labour legislation and collective agreements;
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly to produce a variety of documents, including correspondence, briefs and proposals;
- Strong computer skills to research and co-ordinate input from multiple sources to assist in negotiation, briefs and presentations for various purposes;
- Well-developed interpersonal communication skills, including ability to listen sensitively, persuade and motivate, explain, reassure, demonstrate leadership, and respond to challenges;
- Ability to organize and prioritize conflicting tasks and assignments independently and respect established timelines; and
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in dealing with sensitive member, company and Society information.
This is a temporary, unionized position. This job is based on a 35-hour week, Monday to Friday, with frequent requirement for evening and weekend work. Occasional overnight travel required.
Starting range for the position is $132,000 to $155,000; starting salary dependent on experience.
The closing date for this posting is May 13, 2022.
For more information or to submit an application, please contact [email protected].