Slips and trips lead to falls and account for almost one in five workplace injuries that force employees to miss time on the job. They can happen in any workplace and so every worker needs to be aware of how to prevent them.
Here are 10 ways to prevent slips, trips and falls:
- Wear sturdy footwear with appropriate traction for the environment you work in to improve traction with the floor and avoid slips.
- Keep floors clear of slick substances like oil, water, and unanchored rugs.
- Remove objects on the floor that do not belong there.
- Clean up quickly if something drops or spills.
- Ensure suitable lighting for all areas to ensure proper visibility, replace light bulbs as soon as they burnout, and use flashlights when working in dimly lit areas.
- Fasten all cords to the ground to avoid trip hazards.
- Close all drawers and cabinets as soon as you are finished using them.
- Move at an appropriate pace in the workplace and maintain focus on the direction in which you are going to spot and hazards.
- Do not block your vision by carrying large amounts of cargo; where necessary use a dolly or other device.
- Report all slip, trip and fall hazards to your supervisor and local Society health and safety representative to ensure it is resolved quickly.