The Society of United Professionals, IFPTE Local 160, is seeking a generalist Communications Officer. This position is a temporary leave replacement, starting February 2024 and potentially continuing through November 2026. The position is 60% FTE (21 hours per week) with the possibility of occasional additional hours during peak workload times. Working hours are Monday to Friday, daytime, on a schedule to be determined, with occasional requirement for evening and weekend work. Occasional overnight travel within Ontario may also occasionally be required.
The Communications Officer, as part of a small team, has responsibility for producing and disseminating effective communication both internally and externally. Duties may include short and longer written work, editing the written work of others, graphic design, desktop publishing, still photography and editing, video production and editing, managing social media and website updates. Specific duties will depend on the needs of the organization as well as the preferences and strengths of members of the team.
The successful candidate should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in arts, social sciences, journalism or other related field, or equivalent
- At least 5 years of experience in a communications role performing duties related to this position.
- At least 2 years previous experience with trade unions, not-for-profit/NGOs or other socially progressive sector.
- Education and/or experience related to graphic design using the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively in a variety of styles and for a variety of audiences.
- Well-developed interpersonal communication skills, including ability to persuade, reassure and respond to challenges.
- Experience producing communications for print, electronic and web-based media.
- Experience creating and executing social media campaigns.
- Experience working with NationBuilder or similar products is an assent.
- Ability to work independently and manage time to meet established production deadlines, including when high priority tasks appear unexpectedly.
- Ability to work cooperatively with elected officers, members, staff and others to produce finely tuned messages.
Starting salary for the position is $2442 per week, prorated to 60% FTE.
The Society of United Professionals is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion in our living, learning and work environments. We actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not limited to:
- First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples;
- Members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion and/or spiritual beliefs, or place of origin;
- Persons with visible and/or invisible disabilities;
- Persons who identify as women; and
- Persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender
Applications should include a cover letter, resume, a small number of work samples and references. Please submit applications by February 6, 2024 to [email protected] with the subject line “Communications Officer Application”.