Posted: August 16, 2019
Deadline: 9AM, August 30, 2019
The Society of United Professionals, IFPTE Local 160, is seeking a Communications Officer. This position is a temporary leave replacement, starting as soon as possible and ending in February 2020. The position is 60% FTE (21 hours per week). Working hours are Monday to Friday, daytime, on a schedule to be determined, with occasional requirement for evening and weekend work. Occasional overnight travel within Ontario may also be required.
The Communications Officer, as part of a small team, has responsibility for producing and disseminating effective messaging and communication both internally and outside the Society. This position is directly responsible for most graphic design, desktop publishing, still photography, photo editing, and video production.
The successful candidate should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in arts, social sciences, journalism or other related field, or equivalent.
- At least 2 years previous experience with trade unions, not-for-profit/ NGOs or other socially progressive sector.
- At least 2 years of experience in a communications role.
- Education and/or experience related to graphic design using the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Well-developed interpersonal communication skills, including ability to persuade, reassure and respond to challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively in a variety of styles and for a variety of audiences.
- Experience producing communications for print, electronic and web-based media, including social media.
- Experience in polling, marketing and campaign development an asset
- Experience working with NationBuilder an asset.
- Ability to work independently and manage time to meet established production deadlines, including when high priority tasks appear unexpectedly.
- Ability to work cooperatively with officers, members, staff and others to produce finely tuned messages.
The duties of the position include:
- Primary responsibility for graphic design, desktop publishing, still photography and some video production.
- Provide advice and assistance to support major initiatives of the Society involving communication with members, employers and social movement partners, including development of communication strategies.
- Expand and maintain a social media presence to support the general communications strategy, specific campaigns and activities and membership engagement.
- Monitor media coverage and coordinate media events, as directed.
- Maintain the website platform, keeping the content up to date.
- Research, write, submit for review and edit a wide variety of materials, for example: speeches, briefing/background materials, media releases and advisories, scripts, advertising copy, website, social media, and periodicals.
- Review and revise draft communication material produced by others.
- Assist Locals with communications initiatives.
Applications should include a cover letter, resume and references. Please submit applications by 9am on August 30, 2019 to David Empey, Staff Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications Officer Application”. Inquiries about the position are welcome at the same email address.