ACORN members are planning to confront Minister Lisa MacLeod with their own review of social assistance on Fri, Nov 9th. Meet at 1:30pm at her office at 3500 Fallowfield Rd.
Ontario ACORN members are demanding:
· An immediate stop to the proposed social assistance cuts. In the last budget, the government passed a 3% raise and now MacLeod has proposed to reduce that to 1.5%
· Raise the rates by $500/month for people on OW and ODSP.
· The Housing Allowance must reflect the market rate rent in Ontario. Allowance needs to be set by the City
· Increase the employment income before clawbacks from $200/month to $800/month.
· Limits for OW recipients need to match limits of ODSP recipients.
· Make all assets exempt for the first 6 months of assistance.
· Consider all RRSPs as exempt assets, regardless of whether they are locked in or not.